Wednesday, September 2, 2015

"Pocket Projects" - Santa Pin

Here's another in a series of "Pocket Projects".  This one is the Santa Pin.  These are simple and fast small whittling projects, so called because a hand full of the blanks can be carried in your pocket, next to your pocket knife.

Cut the blank out of 1/4 inch Basswood.


  I some times leave a handle on the blank to hold onto when whittling.  Cut the handle off after whittling.

There is one slight short cut to completing this Santa.  The nose is an add-on.  After the whittling is completed, drill a small hole where you want the nose.  Countersink the hole a wee bit so that a small round wood bead will fit.  Glue the round wood bead into the hole, glue the pin back on, and paint.

Can't get much easier than this.....


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for all of your tips, hints and ideas. I wish I had more time to carve, but I thank you for every post on this blog.
Josh from Wisconsin

Tom H said...

Thanks Josh. I can understand about finding time for wood carving. Maybe that's why so many wood carvers are old and retired.. Or maybe I should just say retired. Thanks for reading the blog.
Tom H

Birds Of A Feather Flutes said...

You are the best. Thanks for this article. Hope you are well. I am enjoying your small knome. I also took a canoe case that I have and coverted it to an oar type carver. I will have to send you some pics some time. Really nice. Yes, it is flat ground. Thanks again.