Sunday, August 30, 2009

Carving the Gnome

For those who asked for a step-by-step slide presentation of carving the little Gnome; here is a first attempt. To call it "quick and dirty" is appropriate. The proper way to prepare a step-by-step presentation is carve a bunch of the objects, to determine the best and most efficient way to carve it. I did not do this! I just started and took photos along the way. Besides, if I carve several of the same objects, they are never alike anyway; nor are the steps in the same order. Maybe that's why I like to refer to my stuff as whittlins.

I will probably refine this presentation at a later date.

This Gnome is whittled from a 3/4" x 3/4" x 4" piece of wood. It is carved on the corner, and ends up being 3 1/2" tall including the hat. I do not sand the piece, but notice that I do woodburn the intersecting planes, prior to painting.

sorry to butt in but i doubled the size of the video, hard for me to see. thomp....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks Tom this will be a big help! I just watched it once and it answered a lot of questions I had, I'll be studing the cuts and have another go at a few of these gnomes...thanks you very much!
Bill Anderson

bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb said...

Hey Guys,

I really like the larger view for these older eyes and I like this little guy, but what did you do with his hands around back.

I love this small stuff!

Deb

Tom H said...

Check the Aug 25th post. The Gnomes hands in back.

Wade the Woodcarver said...

Thanks for the tutorial. These guys are addictive. I've started my Christmas ornaments for the year and the way you show to do the face is making the process much easier.
wh

Tom H said...

Bill, Deb, and Wade;
Thank you! Comments are always a nice and welcome thing. Send us a link to a photo of your completed Gnome..

JimB said...

I sure like it, will have to give it a try!!

Marcia said...

Thank you Tom! After waiting for 30 mins for the video to come in, I watched it three times! Then I went to get some wood 1x1x4 and carved myself a little gnome. I'm working on gnome number two now. Thanks again for showing us how its done.

Marcia.

Cassandra said...

very nice directions. can't wait to try this!

Tom H said...

Thanks Cassandra! He's a fun little fella to whittle.

Unknown said...

exceptionally intriguing continue posting.
vedligeholdelsesfrit havehegn​