Sunday, April 8, 2012

Fun Santa Ornament

I am always looking for fun whittling projects.  Whittling projects that are not too difficult.  Whittling projects that can be completed in a short time.  I think I have one.  This little Santa ornament is just perfect.  It doesn't even require eyes.  In fact, the concept was featured in WOODCARVING ILLUSTRATED, in a article titled "No-See-Em's" by Don Worley, and made popular by John Starkey, on his Blog THE WOODSHED CARVING SHOP.

These Santa's are carved on the corner.  The wood used is a 3/4" x 3/4" x 4" +/- piece of Basswood.  The wood can be split into two pieces or just left to be whittled on a corner.  For the purpose of illustration draw the Santa shape as shown, on the wood corner.

The next posting will be a step-by-step tutorial on whittling one of these ornaments.  I use the word "whittle" to mean that I will use a knife for everything except the beard texture.  The beard texture is achieved with a V-Tool.

6 comments:

jprado said...

Definitely looking forward to this one!

Unknown said...

I do a lot of pyrography. This looks like a fun addition.

Rower90 said...

Hi I have just found this site and have been reading through several of your blogs. I was wondering where I could find the other half of this post that has the tutorial for your Santa ornaments. Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you.
Thanks again,
Cory Rower

Tom H said...

CORY,
Blogger dumped earlier postings, and my computer skills are nil. That means I cannot retrieve those posts. I know I saved everything, but I have not been able to find this series, from April 2012. I'll keep lookin, but like I said, my computer skills are nil. Thanks for your inquiry.

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to respond.

Tom Hindes

Rower90 said...

I was just looking for a step by step tutorial on how to make one of these. I never know how/where to start the carving. I usually end up losing most of the nose which is an important part when I'm already trying to do an ornament with no eyes LOL. Thanks for the reply though.

Tom H said...

Cory,

When blocking out the nose (or any knife cuts on or near the nose) make double sure that the knife blade is angled so that it will not undercut the nose. This goes for the sides and bottom of the nose as well.

Tom