Sunday, April 8, 2012

Fun Santa Ornament

I am always looking for fun whittling projects.  Whittling projects that are not too difficult.  Whittling projects that can be completed in a short time.  I think I have one.  This little Santa ornament is just perfect.  It doesn't even require eyes.  In fact, the concept was featured in WOODCARVING ILLUSTRATED, in a article titled "No-See-Em's" by Don Worley, and made popular by John Starkey, on his Blog THE WOODSHED CARVING SHOP.

These Santa's are carved on the corner.  The wood used is a 3/4" x 3/4" x 4" +/- piece of Basswood.  The wood can be split into two pieces or just left to be whittled on a corner.  For the purpose of illustration draw the Santa shape as shown, on the wood corner.

The next posting will be a step-by-step tutorial on whittling one of these ornaments.  I use the word "whittle" to mean that I will use a knife for everything except the beard texture.  The beard texture is achieved with a V-Tool.

2 comments:

jprado said...

Definitely looking forward to this one!

Judith Costa said...

I do a lot of pyrography. This looks like a fun addition.