Monday, October 5, 2009

Holding Small Stuff!

Since I tend to carve "small stuff" folks are always asking me how I keep from cutting my fingers. I always leave a "handle" on the wood to be carved. And since I am a wee bit cheap, I usually carve something on both ends of the piece too. Some times on 1/4" wood I'll carve as many as I can, then separate them. When I paint the small stuff I use drywall screws as a handle. The big Santa's are to be Christmas tree ornaments, so I just screw the drywall screws into the top until they are firm. I use the fine threaded screws, then place the ornament hanger eye into the same hole, after the screws are removed. Can't use the dry wall screws in the smaller Santa. But a straight pin works just fine. Here's a tip for painting. When carving you should try to determine when it is best to "move" the wood into the knife, instead of "moving" the knife into the wood. The same applies when painting. There are times when it is desirable to hold the loaded brush steady and "move" the carving into the brush. The screw/pin "handles" can be held and moved to achieve this. This is especially useful when painting under the brim of the hat. You can actually"twirl" the carving by the "handle", into the stationary paint brush.

4 comments:

Marcia said...

Good tips!! Can I ask for a picture video of how you carve your bigger santa ornaments?


Marcia.

Anonymous said...

ok , now i get it, thanks.
sam

Thomp said...

Marcia said..."Good tips!! Can I ask for a picture video of how you carve your bigger santa ornaments? "

Thomp said,

Marcia,
if i may, just follow the gnome pattern, but do it on a larger block, with a smaller head, feet and hands.

remember to set the head and shoulders back further, more in line to the backbone than breast it will give you room for a bigger belly...

im sure tom h will accommodate you with a step by step, but for now this is a quick fix

Thomp said...

hey any tips on seeing them little things better ?