Sunday, December 20, 2009

Quick & Easy!

I like to do quick and easy little carvings/whittlings. I do think that quick and easy kinda go together. And my very short attention and interest span accommodates these little projects. This "string" of fish is the result of two occurrences. First, an article I read in an old Field and Stream magazine about ice fishing with lures. The article had photos of several life sized carved fish lures. Second, when ever I see a band saw at a carving event, I check out the waste/scrap can for pieces of basswood. These little fish lures are about 2 to 3 inches long. They are very easy to carve and even more fun to paint. This little eagle is real easy too. It's carved from a piece of 3/4 x 3/4 inch basswood, that is finished to 1 1/2 inches tall. I'll work on a tutorial on carving the Eagle.

2 comments:

Dave Brock said...

As I just mentioned on the WCI board I love both of these. When I look at the eagle I wonder why in the world didn't I think of that. Can't wait for the tutorial.

Tom H said...

Been fooling around with the tutorial. There 2 ways that I am doing it. One carved on the corner, with no saw use. The other carved from a sawn out flat blank, not on the corner. After the Holidays!