Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bad Habits!

Been spending some time trying to break some bad carving habits. This is damn difficult. It is said, and I believe it, that unlearning something is harder than learning it. This is true especially when a "skill" or "physical action" is learned. I learned some bad habits when teaching myself to carve. I am now at that point where the bad habits are limiting my further improvement. When learning to carve faces I was told PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I was also told that once I carved 1000 faces I might begin to be satisfied. The only thing I was not told was to be sure that what I practiced was the correct way. So I learned to do some things the incorrect way. At least in a way that makes it difficult for me to change the way I do things, and the way the finished carvings look. You will learn what you practice. So, I guess the message of this post is for beginners to get some good instruction. This good instruction can be from an experienced carver, a book, and/or a video.

No comments: