Saturday, December 1, 2012

A First Bottle Stopper

Down through the years, there have been many bottle stoppers carved.  Some of these stoppers have been very elaborate, some even with moving parts, and some simple.  This tutorial will address the first bottle stopper I've ever attempted, so it will be a straight forward easy one.  I will be whittling a Santa for the stopper.

For this stopper you'll need a piece of 1x1x2 3/8 inch Basswood, a cork with a 3/8 inch hole drilled through it, a 3/8 inch dowel, and a 3/8 drill bit and drill.

After marking the center of an end on the basswood, drill a 3/8 inch hole about 3/4 inch deep.

Insert the dowel into the cork and the Basswood blank.  Do not glue this together yet.  I like the extra length that the cork and dowel gives to the Basswood blank, for a better grip when whittling.

Sketch the Santa on the Basswood blank.  This one is to be whittled on the corner.

Whittle away!
 
I apologize for the photo quality.  My camera is 12 years old, my shaky hands are 73 years old; but Santa already has a request for one of those new anti shake cameras.  Hope I've been good enough to be considered.
 
I'll complete the Bottle Stopper and post it tomorrow.
 
DANG! no empty wine bottles.  I'll have to fix that.

No comments: