Sunday, March 1, 2020

USING YOUR SCRAPS

I have found that it is a good idea to use all of the Basswood that you order.  This has become a challenge for me to do.  It is a fun challenge.  About once a month I sort through my scrap bucket, and select out some smaller pieces to whittle.  I then look at the small pieces , and think what can I whittle.  I have developed some criteria for the whittlings that the scrape wood must meet.  The first criteria is that the finished piece must be small enough to fit on the scrap wood.  Next, it must be able to be whittled, with only a knife, and it must be completed within the limits of my attention span.  My attention span is short!  Most of these small items get done with a fifteen minute span.  And finally, NO paint and no sand paper.  The finished piece must be merely dipped in wood conditioner then stain, and polyurethane to finish it.



12 comments:

BeaverCraft said...

Well done! Keep up the good work

BeaverCraft said...

Well done

Birds Of A Feather Flutes said...

I know that they are not cheap, but the new gec pocket carvers are awesome. Will need to get blades sharpened/honed.

Rob

Jeff Whitebread said...

Hello Tom, I recently started carving and wanted to thank you for your "20-Minute Whittling Project" book. I have been working on the 15-minute Santas, and carved the farmer, gnome, and Uncle Sam. I even created a Santa figure from the farmer pattern. Thank you for creating various patterns that have allowed a beginner like myself to create these pieces. - Jeff

Tom H said...

Thanks for nice comments! I am glad you are enjoying carving. I am sure that folks are finding joy in your carvings too.
Tom

Birds Of A Feather Flutes said...

Tom,

Hope you are ok. Haven't seen you here or in the forum.

Rob

Tom H said...

Rob,
Don't understand how I can be so busy! But I am basically OK. I will try to "get out and about" more. I really do need to pay more attention to this Blog, by adding some whittling materials. Thanks so much for your inquiry, it means a lot to me.

Tom

Birds Of A Feather Flutes said...

Tom, Hope that you are ok in all this covid mess. Stay well my friend.

Rob

Tom H said...

Rob,

I am fine. Just getting older and waiting for my name to come up for the COVID vaccine. In the process of winding up a few loose ends, and making some adjustments to compensate for poor eyesight, lack of concentration.
Thanks for asking...

Tom

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
Glad to hear from you on the blog.
Hope you're doing well, and that the vaccination role out is going well, and that you've managed to get you jab(s).
Thanks for introducing me to whittling, it's a great hobby that's I'm thoroughly enjoying thanks to your examples!����
Stay well and looking forward to hearing from you on the blog in the near future.
Stay well
Liam (Dublin, Ireland)

Tom H said...

Liam,
Thanks for the interest and the comment. If I an offer any help in your whittling, just ask.
Tom

Wood carving projects said...

Great blog about wood!
I love your posts and I think your material is useful not only for beginners but also for those who already have experience with wood!
Good luck to you.