Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Unlikely Gargoyle!

 One of the brothers that have the diner where I take my breakfast each day, asked if I could carve a gargoyle for one of the customers.  Without really giving it much thought I said OK.  A few days later I was given a photo from a mail order catalog of a gargoyle.  The first problem I saw was the size of the expected gargoyle - way too large for what I normally whittle.  But I set out to do the project anyway - my way.  Smaller than the photo!  During the whittlin, another thing happened.  The more I whittled, the more "ungargoyle" like the piece became.  In fact it first looked like a pig with wings.  But I could fix that in the detailing.  After the final detailing cuts were made, and upon inspection, yet another concern.  Aren't gargoyles supposed to have a scary mean look to them?  And I don't think gargoyles are supposed to look like puppies with wings either.  I might have pulled it off by naming the whittling, a "Baby Gargoyle".

The lesson to be learned is to make sure you ask questions about what the project is expected to look like, before saying OK.

2 comments:

Dolledokus said...

Hi Tom,

First of all ,i had to laugh enormously. Saying yes and not knowing what to do,verry verry dangerous! Can i have a go and will you say yes again? lol!!
I might ask you for al your cash,lol!
Just say yes anyways,hahahaha.

But the baby Gargole turned out to be nice, isn`t it?
I can`t whittle that,that`s for sure.
I`m having a shot at "The wizzard" from someone called whittler on youtube,Gene is his real name i presume.
I don`t have the experience some of you guys have,but i wish i could whittle a "Baby Gargoyle" like that. I like it verry much Tom.

Best regards Dries

Robert Cahill said...

I think it came out pretty nice. If memory serves me correctly to be called a Gargole it has to be a water spout also. Anyway I enjoyed the little fellow.