Friday, May 25, 2012

A Heightened Respect For Spoon Carvers

I have long admired a well designed, carved, and finished lovespoon.  I have even had the opportunity to watch a very good spoon designer and carver, on a weekly basis.  This spoon designer and carver is Laura Gorun.  Here's two examples of her work - or should I say her love.

Now here are some examples of Laura's spoons that she completed for a club demonstration/ instruction (Columbus Woodchippers).  Laura had blanks for each of these spoons, and lead us through the carving process that she uses.  Note how these spoons appear to be so much easier to carve than the spoons in the previous photos.
This demonstration/lesson was great, and I did attempt one of Laura's spoons (the second from the right).  I had every intention of posting a photo of my attempt.  But embarrassment won out and you'll just have to envision a really crappy job that I did.  Besides, my real intention is showcase Laura's spoons.  Laura uses only knife and gouge to produce her spoon.  The only power she uses is in sawing the blanks out.  Yes, I have a new respect for spoon carving....

1 comment:

Laura said...

Aww shux....