Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Focus of this blog!

From time to time it's important to address the main focus of this blog.

It's that time again!

Beginners Carving Corner and Beyond is the title of this blog.  But I think the main focus is on the "Beginners".  That's not to say we'll not stray above the beginners level.  You see, I believe that we're all beginners whenever we move on to something new and out of our comfort zone.

Most of the posts here will be of a nature that a beginner, or intermediate whittler can accomplish.

Here's another interesting word -"WHITTLER".  To me a whittler is one who uses a carving knife almost exclusively.  I personally feel that beginners will benefit from starting out with mainly the carving knife.  First off, there need not be much of a financial investment in tools (just the knife).

The posts on this blog will, for the most part include steps to accomplish a specific project.  Each step will be supported by a photo.  Within the posting  there will normally be TIPS that will help one to have a successful learning experience.  Where appropriate a pattern will be used and included in a post.

Comments are encouraged and will be answered.

It is my goal to introduce folks to the world of wood carving, by providing learning activities that will insure a successful learning experience, and pave the way for a lasting experience.

5 comments:

Brian Boatright said...

Thank you for this blog! And all the tips and inspiration you give. I for one greatly appreciate it. I would never have started carving if it weren't for this blog.

Tom H said...

Thanks Brian! If you have any suggestions for projects or future topics post them under comments.

Unknown said...

Hi Tom!

I have always wanted to get into whittling but never really knew where to start. I started my first serious attempt over the weekend while in the bush with some wood and a knife. I ended up with a simple snake wrapped around a stick and I loved it!
This blog has already been a huge help and I'll continue coming back.
Thanks,Mick

Anonymous said...

I found your blog while searching for a place where my husband and I and our children could join in on some beginning carving/ whittling (we live in Oshkosh). Your ideas and projects look fabulous! Do you offer classes? If so, would you share details? Thanks so much!

EdMetzler said...

This is a fantastic blog! I've carved for years on and off, and I'm back into it now, preparing for the holiday season. Your blog has me all excited about whittling again. Thanks so much for sharing your skills.